Ph.D. Student, Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
M.S., Chemical Engineering, Iran University of Science & Technology, 2014
B.S., Chemical Engineering, Azad University, 2011
Shayan joined Prof. Nejati’s research group, part of the Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln in the spring of 2017. His research focuses on developing novel polymeric materials for energy conversion and storage. To do so, Shayan employs oxidative Chemical Vapor Deposition (oCVD) technique to synthesize, dope, and coat conjugated polymers in a single liquid-free approach. He investigates the electrochemical properties of the deposited polymeric thin films for a variety of applications, including supercapacitors and electrocatalysts. In his recent publication, Shayan employed oCVD technique to fabricate air-electrodes based on conducting polymers.
Shayan is also highly passionate about carbon capture and storage (CCS) using green solvents such as ionic liquids (ILs). He recently showed that by proper choice of chemistry, encapsulation of ILs in polymeric matrix can significantly enhance the sorption capacity.
Before joining TCIL, Shayan completed his master under the supervision of Prof. Feyzi in the Chemical Engineering department at Iran University of Science & Technology (IUST). During his master studies, he worked on developing thermodynamic models to predict vapor-liquid equilibria (VLE) for both pure and mixtures of components.
List of Publications:
- Kaviani, Shayan, Mahdi Mohammadi Ghaleni, Elham Tavakoli, Siamak Nejati. “Electroactive and Conformal Coating of oCVD Polymers for Oxygen Electroreduction.” ACS Applied Polymer Materials (2019).DOI:10.1021/acsapm.8b00240
- Mohammadi Ghaleni, Mahdi, Abdullah Al Balushi, Shayan Kaviani, Elham Tavakoli, Mona Bavarian, and Siamak Nejati. “Fabrication of Janus Membranes for Desalination of Oil-Contaminated Saline Water.” ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces (2018). DOI:10.1021/acsami.8b16621
- Kaviani, Shayan, Saloumeh Kolahchyan, Mona Bavarian, Kerri L. Hickenbottom, Alexander M. Lopez, Siamak Nejati. “Encapsulated Ionic Liquids with Enhanced Capacity for Carbon Dioxide Capture.” Chemical Engineering Journal (2018). Doi:1016/j.cej.2018.08.086
- Khosravi, Bahareh, Farzaneh Feyzi, Mohammad Reza Dehghani, and Shayan Kaviani “Experimental measurement and thermodynamic modeling of CO2 solubility in aqueous solutions of morpholine.” of Molecular Liquids (2015). Doi:10.1016/j.molliq.2015.11.031
- Kaviani, Shayan, Farzaneh Feyzi and Bahareh Khosravi. “Modification of the Peng-Robinson equation of state for helium in low temperature regions”. Journal of Physics and Chemistry of Liquids (2015). Doi: 1080/00319104.2015.1126836